Tower Garage, Wilmslow Road, Alderley Edge, Cheshire; Berkeley Moir of Moir & Bateman, 1961-63: Grade II
The Society put this building forward in December 2005. The car showroom, originally with petrol pumps, was built by the Rochdale husband and wife practice for Total Oil. They specialised in this building type, but Alderley is said to be their best design. EH recommended listing at Grade II for its architectural quality, apposite modern design, rarity of building type and degree of survival.
7-23 Silver Street (including the covered entrance to Cofferidge Close), Stony Stratford; Derek Walker, chief architect to Milton Keynes Development Corporation, project architect Wayland Tunley, 1970-76: Grade II
EH have notified us that this terrace of five town houses and four flats is now listed at Grade II for their architectural and planning interest, use of materials, degree of survival and historic interest.
Sugden House, 2 Farm Field, Watford; Alison and Peter Smithson, 1954-56: Grade II
Put forward by the local conservation officer and supported by the Society, Sugden House is now listed for its architectural interest in terms of its noted architects, plan-form, use of materials and interior, and also its rarity and limited degree of alteration.
‘Domus’ House, 542 Colne Road, Reedley Hallows near Burnley, Lancashire; unknown architect, 1958: Grade II
This house was put forward by the Society and has now been listed for its architectural quality, planning interest and layout; high quality of materials used; and surviving fixtures and fittings.
The Pediment, Croughton Road, Aynho, Oxfordshire; Raymond Erith, 1956-57: Grade II
The house’s existing Grade II listing has been amended to include the garden buildings, also by Erith (1959-73), while the Croquet Shed has been listed Grade II in its own right.
‘Temporary House’, North Hill, Highgate; Walter Segal, 1962
The Society was disappointed that listing was refused for this tiny building erected in the garden for Segal’s own family during the construction of a brick house alongside. It is of exceptional historical as well as architectural importance as the prototype of Segal’s self-build houses, for which he became famous later in his career.
Norfolk County Hall, Martineau Lane, Norwich; Reginald Uren, 1964
Of national significance both historically and architecturally, as well as an important example of this architect’s later work. It deals masterfully with a sloping site and the demands of expanding local government including public access and ceremonial functions. Impressive in massing and plan-form and of almost classical proportions, the Corbusian design allows space to flow through and around the site.
Crystal Palace house, Friars Lane, Bury St Edmunds; Sir Michael Hopkins, 1978
A key example by Hopkins of the late 1970s popularity of Miesian houses. As this was recently put up for sale, the Society put it forward for spot-listing to pre-empt any threats to its principal qualities.
Scroope Terrace (School of Architecture Extension), 1-3 Scroope Terrace, Trumpington Street, Cambridge; Colin St John Wilson (in association with Alex Hardy, services consultant), 1956-58
A spot-listing application for this very special building by a distinguished architect has been submitted with a letter of support from Docomomo UK.
Station Square and Bus Station, Elder Gate, Central Milton Keynes; Milton Keynes Development Corporation and British Rail, designed late 1970s, opened 1982
This complex of buildings constitutes a key part of the realisation of Central Milton Keynes and to date survives virtually intact: we have put it forward for spot-listing.
Murals at former Lee Valley Water Company Offices, Chantry Lane, Hatfield; sculptor William Mitchell, architects Scherrer & Hicks, job architect K A Neivens, 1965
A very special project by a prolific and renowned artist, under threat because of approved proposals to demolish and replace the building. The Society has submitted a spot-listing application for the artwork, although we do not object to the loss of the building.
Christ Church and Upton Chapel, Kennington Road, Lambeth; Peter J Darvall, 1959
We have applied to extend the current listing for the tower of the former Christ Church (Grade II) to include the 1959 Christ Church and Upton Chapel and office building. The unusual design, incorporating a chapel at ground level and 5-6 storey office block above, also has significant fixtures and fittings, including a decorative concrete screen and a stained glass window showing members of the congregation at the time of construction.
Old Gym, University of Birmingham Edgbaston Campus; Peacock and Bewlay, 1939-41
We consider the Old Gym to be the most significant of a number of 20th century buildings due for demolition under the University’s re-development proposals. It is characterised by well executed brickwork facades, original features and careful design that fits in with the surrounding landscape.
The Point, 602 Midsummer Boulevard, Central Milton Keynes; 1985
This is currently under threat of demolition and we have supported the Cinema Theatre Association’s spot-listing application.
2, 10 and 11 Regal Lane, Camden; John Winter, 1963 and 1968
These attractive modern houses make clever use of space and light through careful internal layout, and show how Winter successfully addressed challenging small scale sites.
University of Essex, Wivenhoe Park, Colchester; Kenneth Capon of Architects Co-Partnership, 1961-64
The Society is supporting a third party request to review the decision not to list the Library, an integral part of the first phase of the University of Essex campus, one of the ‘English Seven’ new universities founded in the late 1950s and early 1960s.
Certificate of Immunity
South Bank Centre, Belvedere Road, Lambeth; Warren Chalk and Ron Herron, Dennis Compton, 1967
Despite English Heritage’s strong recommendation to list the internationally significant buildings on the South Bank including the Hayward Gallery, Queen Elizabeth Hall and Purcell Room, a Certificate of Immunity from listing has been granted by the Secretary of State.