Shown below are the listings reports for Spring 2005.
Grey Wings, Ashtead, Surrey; Sir Giles Gilbert Scott, 1913, II
A private house by Scott, built as a commission with his brother Adrian. Aside from being an early and rare building by the famous architect the interest lies also in the butterfly Edwardian plan. Grey Wings survives with very few alterations.
Neck or Entrance building, Boscombe Pier, Bournemouth, Dorset; Bournemouth Borough Engineers Department, 1958-60, II
This playful structure was designed very much in the spirit of the Festival of Britain and is a delightful architectural focus on the pier.
Hungerford Primary School, Hungerford Road, Islington, London; ILEA, 1968-70
Turned down since it was felt that a thorough refurbishment a decade ago had reduced its merit. The building would also need extensive refurbishments in the future. Islington Council has given permission to demolish and replace the building with another school and a residential block.
52 Kneeton Road, East Bridgford, Nottinghamshire; George Dickinson, 1965
This private house exposes its structural beams on the exterior and opens its glazed facades onto the garden; turned down since it was felt that the execution of the design was not of sufficient quality.
Aldgate East Underground Station, Whitechapel High Street , London; London Passenger Transport Board, 1938
This is one of only two London Underground stations remaining with a nearly complete set of 1930s ‘Stabler tiles’ at platform level that show images of London and armorial bearings of the counties served by LPTB. The station is an impressive achievement of engineering of its time, and is of an austere charm with many original details surviving. We have resubmitted the station for listing since English Heritage’s report did not take into account a report by the Transport Museum on the engineering aspect and await the outcome.
St Catherine’s, Aylsham Road, Norwich, Norfolk; Alban Caroe and A.P. Robinson, 1933-35
Designed during his formative years by Alban Caroe, the son of WD Caroe, an important member of the Arts and Crafts movement. This church successfully integrates modern and traditional building materials. Art Deco detailing is used for the brick exterior while the interior is spanned by massive concrete barrel vaults. All fixtures are still in place and this church is remarkably coherent.
Langham House Close, Ham Common, Richmond, Surrey; Stirling and Gowan, 1957-58, Grade II
A post-war residential development of three apartment buildings carefully arranged in a long narrow site, it sets a benchmark against which the other Grade II listed apartment blocks can be measured. Put forward for upgrading to II*.
Ashmount School, Ashmount Road, Islington, London; H.T.Cadbury-Brown, 1957-58
Ashmount School was built as a combined infant and junior school to designs by H.T. Cadbury-Brown (consulting engineers Bolton, Henessey and Partners) with a commission by the LCC. The Junior School is an important early exam ple of an all-glass curtain wall. The Infant School exposes its metal section beams; an advanced metal-and-glass aesthetic which was a feature of some parts of the Festival of Britain. The School also features an interesting art work; a John Willats designed cockerel sculpture.
Tote Board Building , Catford Greyhound Stadium, Lewish am , London ; 1932
The stadium closed one year ago and there are plans to redevelop the entire site for housing. The tote board building is a fascinating relic – a three storey building facing the adjacent park, one of its main façades served as the board to display the odds. The original 1930s machinery is still in situ.
Water Softening Plant, Newnham, Kent; 1937
This plant was built for the Kent Water Board and is probably one of very few remaining if not the last of its kind. The concrete structures have tremendous sculptural qualities. The plant has recently changed owners and its future is uncertain.
Christ Church: Blue Boar Quad, St Aldate’s, Oxford; Powell and Moya, 1965-68, II
Strong concrete college residence developing from Powell and Moya’s work at Brasenose College. Several identical interconnecting units are arranged around different sized courtyards or quads. The design is a smaller version of the Cripps Building at St John’s College in Cambridge which was built at the same time. Recommended by English Heritage for upgrading to Grade II*.
Chapel, St Mary’s University College , Waldegrave Road, Twickenham, London; Sir Albert Richardson, 1960-63
A college chapel over another small chapel and crypt, the building is constructed of reinforced concrete and clad in brick and located prominently within the expanding campus. Recommended by English Heritage for listing at Grade II.
Wildwood, 12A Western Avenue, Poole, Dorset; Richard Horden, 1971-75
This house was built for a local lawyer by his architect son who was inspired by the American case study houses; a steel frame construction, Miesian in appearance, it features window walls and concrete block walls, while the courtyard is set out on the same grid as the house. The integration of the outside and the transparency of the architecture are vital components. Recommended by English Heritage for listing at Grade II.
38 Millfield Lane, Camden, London; Philip Pank, 1968-69
A private house near Hampstead Heath built for the literary agent Harvey Ünna, this is a two-storey flat-roofed building of load bearing brick set at the back of a garden, facing south. The interior is fitted with fireplace, shelving and features maple floors and a fitted kitchen and bathrooms. Recommended by English Heritage for listing at Grade II.
Upper Lawn, West Tisbury, Wiltshire; Alison and Peter Smithson, 1959-62
The Smithsons designed this house for themselves as a weekend retreat. The house incorporates the walls of a former C18 cottage. The extensively glazed two storey building was described by Peter Smithson as a ‘primitive solar energy pavilion’. Recommended by English Heritage for listing at Grade II.
South Winds, Cryfield Grange Road, Coventry, Midlands; Robert Harvey, 1965-66)
This is seen as Robert Harvey’s masterpiece; the architect designed around fifty houses, mainly in Warwickshire, this being an extremely elegant Wrightian example. The building is threatened by an insensitive extension to it important garden façade. Recommended by English Heritage for listing at Grade II.