Shown below are the listings reports for Spring 2010.
Derwent Tower (Dunston Rocket), Gateshead, Tyneside; Owen Luder Partnership, 1973
English Heritage has concluded that Luder’s only residential development, the impressive and unique Dunston Rocket is not worthy of designation. In his own idiosyncratic take on Corb’s idea of high-rise living, with shops, nurseries and tenant facilities at the base, Rodney Gordon and Luder designed a complete estate with the ‘Rocket’ as a single element to house the couples and singles—it was never meant for families. Maisonette blocks on the ground provided for them. Built on unstable ground above disused mine shafts, the load of the building was spread by a series of elegant concrete ‘fins’. Neglected, empty and altered—largely due to the demolition of many of the lower rise buildings, EH concluded that it was not listable—paving the way for demolition. We have now fought for the three finest Luder/Gordon buildings ever constructed, The Tricorn, Trinity Car Park and the Rocket. EH has failed to recognise the architectural importance of any of them.
Church of the Ascension, Beaufort Road, Hanger Hill, London; Hon. John Seely and Paul Paget, 1939; locally listed; Hanger Hill (Haymills) Estate CA
Although a relatively modest structure—in terms of size and special features, the Church of the Ascension demonstrates clearly the unconventional design approach of Seely and Paget that featured simplified classical motifs alongside inspired modernistic gestures. Locally listed, within a conservation area, and under no perceived threat, the building is an early work by this distinguished practice, and survives virtually unaltered.
Palace Green Library, Durham University, Durham; George Gaze Pace, 1961-6; unlisted; Durham City Centre CA
A rare non-ecclesiastical scheme by George Gaze Pace, Palace Green Library was a challenging scheme, inserted as it is between Durham Cathedral and the Castle, a most sensitive international heritage site. Pace undoubtedly drew on his long experience as Consultant Architect to Durham Cathedral and his design was widely praised for its distinct modern character that did not fail to pay a subtle tribute to its surroundings. Although recommended for listing at Grade II* by the Post-War Steering Group in 2001, the case seems to have got ‘stuck in the system’; C20 has now re-applied to EH for the library to be listed.
London Underground Stations
The Society has now forwarded 11 London Underground stations for listing: Wood Green, (Piccadilly Line), Charles Holden, 1932, Perivale, (Central Line), Brian Lewis, 1947, Hanger Lane, (Piccadilly Line), Charles Holden, 1946-49, West Acton, (Central Line) Brian Lewis, 1940 Gants Hill, (Central Line), Charles Holden, 1937-47, Stanmore, (Jubilee Line), Charles Walter Clark, 1932, Kingsbury, (Metropolitan Line), Charles Walter Clark, 1932, St John’s Wood, (Jubilee Line) Stanley Heaps, 1939, Moor Park, (Metropolitan Line ) LT Architects Dept, 1961, Croxley, (Northern Line) Charles Walter Clark, 1925, Brent Cross, (Northern Line), Stanley Heaps, 1923. All stations have gone forward at Grade II.
Harlow Town Centre North incorporating Broadwalk and the Market Square, Essex; Sir Frederick Gibberd, planned from 1947 onwards
Harlow has already lost many good Gibberd buildings, including its Town Hall (1958) and civic centre, whilst its relocated Water Gardens (Grade II, as well as a II* Listed Park/ Garden) now abut a car park and bland superstores. The council now wants to re-build the north end of the town as a vast series of shops and leisure facilities. C20 and the Harlow Civic Society feel that the seminal Market Square and pedestrian street are of high national significance as the first completed New Town and can be refurbished; we have recommended that the group be considered for listing.
UEA School of Music, UEA , Norwich; Phillip Dowson, Arup Associates, 1973
After considering a scheme to extend the music block into the heavily altered Lasdun squash court, we have put the music block forward for listing at Grade II. When Denys Lasdun concluded his contract with the UEA at Norwich in 1968, his work on the site already constituted a complete entity. Few buildings added to Lasdun’s masterplan afterwards fitted into their context better than the Music Centre. Much of the Lasdun campus is already listed of course, but this intelligent, sympathetic addition, a masterpiece of contextual modernism, is the first non- Lasdun building we have tried to get listed at UEA.
Central Saint Martin’s College of Art & Design, 107-109 Charing Cross Road, London; E P Wheeler for the LCC, H FT Cooper, assistant architect in charge, 1937-9, Soho Conservation Area
Following the erection of the new Granary building at King’s Cross (completion expected by September 2011), Central Saint Martin’s College of Art and Design is to vacate its landmark building on 107-109 Charing Cross Road. Future plans for the LCC building include a planning application proposing to retain the building envelope but also change its use to retail and residential. As part of this scheme, all fenestration is proposed to be replaced, including the distinctive glass brick ground floor windows. The Society put the building forward for listing as a stylish example of the 1930s Arts and Crafts tradition of the LCC that gains additional significance by its historical associations with an internationally renowned art college.
1-6 Raby Cross, Byker, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, GII*
Block of three flats and shop, built 1978-81 by Ralph Erskine’s Arkitektkontor. Brick with red weatherboarding and balconies to front and back.
Lychgate in front of St Lawrence’s School, Newcastle-upon- Tyne, GII*
Cast iron and timber slats also by Arkitektkontor.
81 Swain’s Lane, Hampstead, London, GII*
Built 1967-9 by John Winter for himself and his family. The house is steel framed with external welded Cor-Ten cladding. This was the first domestic use of Cor-Ten in the UK.
Royal Bank of Scotland, Plymouth, Devon, GII
Built 1956-8 by National Provincial Bank’s architects’ department. Reinforced concrete frame largely clad in Portland stone and Dartmoor granite.
The Pantheon (Marks & Spencer), Oxford Street, London, GII
A shop from 1938 and early 1950s built by Robert Lutyens and WA Lewis & Partners. Stripped classical facade with sleek polished granite surfaces on the upper storeys.
6 Bacon’s Lane, Hamptead, London, GII
Built 1957-9 by Leonard Manasseh for himself and his family. Of salvaged stock brick and exposed concrete floors. ‘Youth’ sculpture in garden by Daphne Hardy Henrion made in 1951 for the Festival of Britain to stand outside the ’51 Bar by Leonard Manasseh also listed at GII.
Insignia Works, Sheffield, GII
Built 1919-20 by William John Hale of red brick in English garden wall bond.
Tameside Hippodrome, Greater Manchester, GII
Theatre of 1904 by JJ Alley, with major interior refit as cinema and theatre in 1933 in an Art Deco style by Drury and Gomersall.
Mural, Three Tuns Pub, Coventry, GII
An abstract relief mural in cast concrete of 1966 by William Mitchell.
Church of St Anne, Fawley, Buckinghamshire, GII
Built 1971-3 to the designs of architect WTJ Jarosz. Red brick and laminated timber under a ribbed copper roof.
Church of St Cuthbert, Huddersfield, W Yorks, GII
Built 1920s-1956 by Hoare & Wheeler of coursed and dressed rusticated local stone, with grey slate roof.
The Pavilion, Dawlish, Devon, GII
Small sports pavilion opened in 1935 by the Astlolant Company of Guildford. Constructed of concrete with flat roof and metal framed windows.
New Felton Bridge, Felton, Northumberland, GII
Built 1926-7 of reinforced concrete with cast and wrought iron, with three river spans.
St Martha’s Priory, Chilworth, Surrey, GII
Built 1932 by AC Burlingham in an inter-war arts and crafts inspired vernacular revival manner.
Church End, Bledlow cum Saunderton, Buckinghamshire, GII
Built 1975-7. A group of six houses by Aldington and Craig groups around a gravelled courtyard.
BBC Television Centre, Hammersmith, GII
Built 1955- 60. This was the first purpose built television centre in the country.