Shown below are the listings reports for Spring 2012.
Little Chef canopy, Markham Moor, Nottinghamshire; Sam Scorcer, 1950s: Grade II
This structure featured in a C20 tour in October 2011. We are delighted that one of the most unusual and dramatic roadside roof structures in the country has been listed at Grade II.
St Margaret Clitherow RC Church, Threshfield, Yorkshire Dales National Park; Peter Langtry-Langton, 1973: Grade II
The Society put this church forward for listing in 2008. It is a rare example of a post-war Roman Catholic church in a rural setting, combining traditional local materials with ingenious design and dale de verre stained glass.
Savoy Garage, King George Avenue, Blackpool, Lancashire; T G Lumb, Son & Walton of Blackpool, 1914-15: Grade II
We were glad that local MP Paul Maynard expressed his pleasure at the listing of this building in his constituency, as part of English Heritage’s Motor Car Project, designed to recognise the impact of the car on the historic environment. It is an exceptionally rare example of an early covered car park on two levels with a lift and turntable for cars. It was built for the Savoy Hydro Hotel, located on the opposite side of King George Avenue, fronting Queen’s Promenade.
Millbuies House, Dovecot and Compost Shelter, Edinburgh; Robert Matthew, with James Dunbar Nasmith (project architect), 1955-60: Category B
An innovative and experimental energy-saving house and a rare domestic commission by Sir Robert Matthew which survives to date in good condition. The listing was supported by the Society last autumn, and specifically includes the dovecot and the 1961 compost shelter.
Brentwood Town Hall, Brentwood, Essex; John Brandon-Jones, 1957
Proposed for spot-listing by the Society as a good surviving example of the neo-Georgian architectural tradition and because of the stature of its designer, John Brandon-Jones (1908-99), a distinguished practising architect, architectural educator and conservationist. English Heritage’s assessment concluded that the Town Hall lacks the quality of detailing of other civic buildings by Brandon-Jones and is restricted in its interior palette and embellishment; and that later extensions have debased the architectural quality of the original building.
Speedwell Baths, Bristol; C W F Dening, 1935
We supported a third party application to list these former public baths in the Moderne style, set in allotments on the outskirts of Bristol.
Former Police Headquarters, Salford, Greater Manchester; Bradshaw, Gass & Hope, 1957
Described in The Buildings of England as ‘a proud municipal Neo-Georgian’, and highly praised in the local planning authority’s Conservation Area appraisal, Salford’s former Police Headquarters are under threat of demolition. The Society has put the building forward for spot-listing at Grade II.
‘Temporary House’ Northill, Highgate; Walter Segal, 1962
The Society has submitted a spot-listing application for this tiny building erected in the garden for Segal’s own family during the construction of a brick house alongside. It is of exceptional historical as well as architectural importance as the prototype of Segal’s self-build houses, for which he became famous late in his career.
Crossdykes House, Telegraph Lane, Chichester, South Downs National Park; Geoffrey Challen, 1959
This private two storey dwelling set in the dramatic landscape of South Downs National Park is an architecturally significant composition that, with careful design and choice of materials, responds to its sensitive landscape setting and differing levels by offering extensive views with minimal external visual intrusion.
Sugden House, Watford, Hertfordshire; Alison and Peter Smithson, 1954-56
The Society has supported a spot-listing application for this deceptively simple and virtually intact domestic design by the Smithsons which represents yet another version of their distinguishing interest in the honest use of materials. The house was included in the Postwar Steering Group thematic surveys of residential architecture in the 1990s, and was recommended for listing at Grade II.
David Branch House, 8 Meadowbank, London SE3; David Branch, 1969-70: Blackheath Conservation Area
The Society supported the Blackheath Park Conservation Group in their application to list at Grade II this square plan bungalow with internal atrium and entirely glazed southern elevation.
The Pediment and garden structures, Croughton Road, Aynho, South Northamptonshire; Raymond Erith, 1959: Grade II
We supported a third party application to upgrade listing of The Pediment to Grade II*, and inclusion of landscape structures in the list description.
Brentford Magistrates Court, The Market Place, Brentford High Street; W T Curtis,1929-31: Butts Conservation Area
The Society supported a third party application to list this former magistrates court at Grade II. The front part of the original Town Hall, built to the designs of County architect William Thomas Curtis, comprises a well-proportioned classically detailed three-storey building faced with Portland stone.