Ahrends, Burton and Koralek (ABK) was established in London in 1961 by three young AA graduates, Peter Ahrends, Richard Burton and Paul Koralek. By the 1970s, ABK was known as one of the most creative and versatile of Britain’s younger practices, its workload ranging from college buildings in Oxford and Chichester to housing, public libraries, retail and industrial buildings.
This is the first overview of the career of Alison and Peter Smithson, the most controversial yet most widely-influential of post-war architectural practices. From their first youthful project, the school at Hunstanton, to their final works, they epitomised the idea of the avant-garde architect.
Arup Associates emerged from the famous engineering consultancy founded by Ove Arup in 1946 and reflected Arup’s own vision of “total design”, formed in the 1930s in his groundbreaking collaborations with Berthold Lubetkin. With architects, engineers and other professionals working in groups, it offered a uniquely interdisciplinary approach to the design of buildings.
The Barbican is one of London’s landmarks and Britain’s largest listed building, yet its architects, Chamberlin, Powell and Bon are little known today. Elain Harwood, historian with Historic England, has researched their work for many years. The book is illustrated with rediscovered archive images and specially commissioned colour photography by James O. Davies.
Notable undiscovered architects, like undiscovered composers, are implausible, yet Frances Xavier Velarde OBE, 1897-1960, could be just such a person hiding in plain sight. A stylish architect who took a road less travelled then died as he was getting into his stride.
This book gives, for the first time, a comprehensive account of the works of architect, town planner and landscape architect, Sir Frederick Gibberd. At the beginning of his diverse and far-reaching career, Gibberd was a pioneer of modern architecture in Britain.
Herbert James Rowse (1887–1963) was an extraordinary architect who shaped the city of Liverpool with his array of exquisite buildings, plans, and infrastructure. His large body of work reveals a modernity that was concerned with luxurious materials, restrained but contemporary decoration and sculpture, and bold forms.
Howell Killick Partridge & Amis (HKPA) was established in 1959 by four young architects who worked together at the architect’s department of the London County Council. Over the next two decades, the partnership became celebrated as one of the most creative and idiosyncratic of Britain’s post-war practices.
John Madin was the indisputable master of post-war architecture in Birmingham, and this is the first major publication on his work. The work of Madin and his associates reshaped the city after the war, producing iconic buildings of that period, such as the Birmingham City Library, the Chamber of Commerce and the Post and Mail Building.
Leonard Manasseh was an ‘architect’s architect’, greatly admired by his contemporaries both on a personal and professional level. He came to prominence at the Festival of Britain and went on to be one of the leading British architects of the 1960s, designing houses, offices and public buildings.
McMorran & Whitby are a secret presence in post-war British Architecture. Led from the late 1950s by Donald McMorran and George Whitby, the practice represented an unbroken development from the monumental inter-war classicism represented by figures such as Charles Holden and Sir Edwin Lutyens.
Robert Maguire's design for St. Paul, Bow Common in East London was the first such church to be built in Britain, and was followed by a remarkable series of churches and other religious buildings in England in the 1960s and 1970s designed together with the silversmith and designer Keith Murray, with whom he went into partnership in the late 1950s.
This is the first comprehensive account of the outstanding work of Ryder and Yates, by Tyneside architect Rutter Carroll. Formed by Gordon Ryder and Peter Yates and heavily influenced by Le Corbusier and Berthold Lubetkin, the practice dominated the development of modern architecture in the North East of England from the early 1950s.
Stephen Dykes Bower (1903-1994) was unique among twentieth century British architects as a sincere practitioner of Gothic design whose career was mainly in the post 1945 period. He rejected modernism and continued traditions from the late Victorian period, with an emphasis on fine detail, craftsmanship and bright colour.
Wells Coates was one of the most significant figures in British Architectural Modernism and designer of the landmark Lawn Road Flats (1934) in Hampstead that offered a new solution to the problems of urban living, still relevant today.