C20 Southern Group launch and 2015 events programme
The C20 Southern Group was formed in late 2014 by Bobbie Dawson and Pauline Mousley, who are currently joint co-ordinators in the area.
We are organising a programme of discovery visits across our area throughout 2015. The format of these is very informal, with no architectural notes. The idea is to take things at a relaxed pace and familiarise ourselves with the local architecture through members pooling their knowledge in a social environment. Tours (or parts of tours) are kindly being arranged by individual members.
Our first discovery visit took place on 7 March in Southampton and could be called ‘A Day of Contrasts’, as we visited two very different 1930s churches and two very different housing developments. You can read Bobbie Dawson’s report here.
We have further visits planned in 2015:
9 May Visit to Chichester
Tour to be led by Colin Hicks. These are the planned highlights (subject to change as some permissions are outstanding):
- St Richard’s Catholic Church, Cawley Road, and its C20 art.
- Pallant House Gallery extension, Long & Kentish architects with Colin St John Wilson, 2006.
- Chichester Cathedral and its many pieces of high-quality C20 art.
- The Novium museum, Keith Williams Architects, 2012.
- WSCC County Library, Rod Funnell with Ove Arup 1966 – submitted for listing by EH, 2015.
- Chapel of the Ascension, local listing, Chichester University campus – architect Sir Peter Shepheard, 1962.
- Chichester Bus Garage, local listing, clear span pre-stressed concrete roof 1956, exterior.
- Chichester Festival Theatre Grade II* listed, architects Sir Philip Powell and Hidalgo Moya, 1962, exterior and foyer.
- 1 North Street/88 East St, Sir Hugh Casson 1962, exterior.
- Marriott Lodge (built as Gillett House, Chichester Theological College) Listed Grade II, ABK (Ahrends, Burton and Koralek) 1964, exterior.
***18 July Visit to Basingstoke***
12 September – Eastbourne
For more information about our events or how to get involved with the Southern Group, please email us.