St. Leonards Church, St. Leonards-on-Sea
Following a direct hit from a doodle bug in 1944, the brothers Giles and Adrian Gilbert Scott rebuilt St. Leonards Church in a dramatic modernistic Gothic Revival style. This Grade II building of pale buff-coloured brick and cream-coloured stone opened in 1955, with the south tower being completed five years later. The dominant feature is a set of parabolic arches which form a giant arcade leading the eye from the west end to the chancel. The previous church was designed by James Burton, the founder of this Sussex seaside town who dug into the seaside cliff to position the building at the centre of his Regency seaside terrace facing out to sea. There are concerns about the impact of rock falls and subsidence on the structural condition and the church is currently closed. C20 Society is seeking details of the structural issues and looking at options to secure its future which may include new community issues.
Browse the pins on this map to see all the buildings at risk.Show map