Nominated by: Regional Group
Former names: James Howell & Co Ltd
Dates from: 1930
Architect: W D Blessley, and latterly Ivor Jones and Percy Thomas
Listed: Grade II
Features of merit: Particularly the addition to the south end by Ivor Jones and Percy Thomas that won the RIBA Bronze Medal in 1930. Twelve bays to N date from circa 1875-6, and circa 1889 by W D Blessley, architect; three bay classical block to S by Sir Percy Thomas, architect, 1928-30 showing influence of North American Beaux-Arts style (cf Selfridges, Oxford Street, London). Extension to rear (along Wharton Street) in 1960s engulfed former Bethany Baptist Chapel of 1864-5. The S block an unusually finely detailed and well-preserved example of inter-war Classicism by South Wales' most distinguished C20 architect.
Still open but reportedly subject to change of use/refurbishment proposals.