Architect: Giacomo Della Mea
Location: Cargnacco, Italy
This poignant memorial to the many Italians who died during the Second World War as allies of Nazi Germany after the invasion of the Soviet Union in 1941, a church dedicated to la Madonna del Soccorso (Our Lady of Solice), was built between 1949 and 1955 and designed by Giacomo Della Mea. With its tiers of open brick arches it was strongly influenced by the architecture of Giovanni Muzio in Milan (although it may also seem reminiscent of the Palazzo della Civilità Italiana at EUR for the abortive Esposizione Universale Roma planned for 1942). It was paid for both by the Italian state and by contributions from the public – including survivors of the Russian campaign.
Either enter the name of a place or memorial or choose from the drop down list. The list groups memorials in London and then by country