17 William Gordon, Ceramic Tile Mural, 1959
Location: St. Aidan's Church, Leicester
The church was designed by Basil Spence and built in 1957-59. The mural was Gordon’s first major tile commission. The mural stands in the porch of the church and depicts scenes from the life of St. Aidan. Gordon had previously produced studio pottery at Walton Pottery in Chesterfield and was also responsible for the Carter & Co abstract tile mural at Basildon Bus Station (now sadly lost).