St Peter’s Seminary, Cardross, Scotland
Gillespie, Kidd and Coia (1959-67). Listed Category A
Widely seen as the finest modern building in Scotland, St Peter’s Seminary was commissioned by the Archbishop of Glasgow in 1958 and completed in 1966, but closed just 14 years later. It consists of a main block including the church and sanctuary, a refectory block with a a honeycomb of vaulted student cells above, and a teaching block of rhomboid plan incorporating a library and lecture theatres. Built of in-situ and pre-cast concrete panels, the complex has echoes of both Le Corbusier’s La Tourette monastery and WWII Atlantic Wall bunkers. It is in an almost ruinous state and despite proposals for reuse or renovation, its future is insecure.
Browse the pins on this map to see all the buildings at risk.Show map