Status: Listed Grade II
Architect: John C. Eastwick-Field
Owners: English Folk Dance and Song Society
Location: Regents Park Road, London
Built in 1929 by architect HM Fletcher as the HQ for the English Folk Dance and Song Society in honour of Cecil Sharp, promoter of traditional music and dance. As part of reconstruction after bomb damage, EFDSS and their architect John C. Eastwick-Field commissioned Ivon Hitchens to paint a mural representing figures performing well-known English country dances in broad swathes of colour, funded by the Edwin Austin Abbey Trust. Unveiled in 1954, it was the largest work of its kind in the country, measuring 16 × 69ft.
In 1987 as a result of dwindling funds the EFDSS decided to sell the building and relocate. This was resisted by the Friends of Cecil Sharp House who launched a fierce campaign to save the building.
The C20 Society gave support and advice and liaised with Historic England.
The building was listed at Grade II in December 1987, with particular reference to the mural, and now operates within a subsidiary trust of the EFDSS.
Browse the list of the 40 buildings or search for individual buildings or architects.