Status: Listed Grade II*
Architect: Ernö Goldfinger
Owners: National Trust
Location: Hampstead, London
A group of three houses built in 1937-39 by Hungarian architect Ernö Goldfinger (listed at Grade II* in 1974), intended as a modern version of the Georgian terrace. Goldfinger lived with his family in the middle house, No 2, still largely in original condition with furniture designed by Goldfinger and important Surrealist and abstract works of art (Max Ernst, Amédée Ozenfant, Henry Moore etc.).
Goldfinger died in 1987 and when his widow Ursula died four years later, the possibility of retaining the contents as a house museum was raised by Dan Cruickshank in the Architects’ Journal.
Led by Gervase Jackson-Stops, the National Trust discussed possible acquisition with encouragement from the Goldfinger family. During a fund-raising campaign lasting several years, the C20 Society contributed by publicity and organising fundraising events. A cheque for £1,000 inscribed on a concrete paving slab was handed over at one of these, and it is retained in the office at the house.
The house is owned by the National Trust, and is open to the public.
Browse the list of the 40 buildings or search for individual buildings or architects.