Status: Listed Grade II
Architect: Patrick Hodgkinson
Owners: Lazari Investments
Location: Brunswick Square, London
The initial design was begun in 1959 by Patrick Hodgkinson with Sir Leslie Martin and Sir Colin St John Wilson and executed from 1967 to 1972 by Hodgkinson and colleagues. The result is a pioneering mid-rise, mixed used development with continuous concrete with stepped terraces of flats overlooking a pedestrian street of shops with parking, services and a cinema. The scheme is remarkable for allocating near equal weight to private and public spaces, and for developing a modern interpretation of the traditional London square.
Ownership was divided between Camden Council and the private sector. Although secure access helped residents, there were unresolved aspects of the structure and a shabby appearance with shops in decline. New owners wanted to make substantial and inappropriate additions to generate additional revenue.
After defending the building at a Public Inquiry, the C20 Society proposed listing at Grade II*. New developers, working with his former collaborators David Levitt and David Bernstein, invited Hodgkinson to join their team. The shopping level was reconfigured and the concrete surfaces repaired and painted.
The building was listed at Grade II in 2000 and sympathetic alterations and improvements were made 2002-06, with a successful relaunch including Waitrose and other major brands.
Browse the list of the 40 buildings or search for individual buildings or architects.