Building of the month
Each month we highlight a building of our period, at home or abroad, that we think deserves attention.
Embassy Court, Brighton
Text by Paul Zara, Conran & Partners Architects
Pictures by Paul Zara and Matthew Worland Wells Coates’ Embassy Court, 1935, stands just on the Brighton side of the old border with Hove. The flats were designed to be rented by the wealthy and...
Granada TV Building, Manchester
Words and pictures by Eddy Rhead Since the merger of the two television companies Carlton and Granada, rumour has been rife in Manchester as to whether or not Granada will move operations to London. If Granada, for whatever reason, does leave its ho...
The Dollan Baths, East Kilbride
Text by Hannah Shaw Images taken from the Alexander Buchanan Campbell Collection, courtesy of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS) Alexander Buchanan Campbell (b. 1914)’s most significant project is t...
Gollins Melvin Ward & Partners’ Aviva Tower, London
Formerly known as the Commercial Union Tower
Text by Ian McInnes
Pictures by M.J. Worland
Early in 1961 the Commercial Union Assurance Company acquired the former Shell headquarters building in Great St Helens intending to refurbish it and build an e...
Raymond Erith’s Library at Lady Margaret Hall, Oxford
Text by Kenneth Powell
Photographs by Guyan/Worland ©2004
Ian Nairn, the most perceptive post-war British critic of architecture writing for a broad audience, described the architect Raymond Erith (1904-1973) as "a Georgian designer - genuinely Geor...
Walter’s Way, Lewisham
Text and pictures by Hawksmoor Hughes
Those taking a walk past no. 7 Walter’s Way in Lewisham, South-East London may well be puzzled as to the origin and style of this small three-bedroomed detached house set in a leafy suburban cul-de-sac. The arc...
Coram’s Fields, Bloomsbury
Text by Alan Powers
Pictures by Harriet Atkinson
The reopening of the Thomas Coram Foundation earlier this year drew attention to the important civic and artistic history of the Foundling Hospital. Sadly, the original building of 1742 by Theodore Jac...
Alison & Peter Smithson’s Upper Lawn Pavilion
Upper Lawn Pavilion, Fonthill Estate, Tisbury, Wiltshire (1959-62)
Text by Dirk van den Heuvel and Max Risselada, Faculty of Architecture, Delft University of Technology
Images courtesy of the Smithson Family Archive, featured in edited by Dirk van d...
Liverpool Anglican Cathedral
Words by Aidan Turner-Bishop.
Pictures courtesy of Liverpool Anglican Cathedral.
High on St. James’s Mount, the great Cathedral of Christ in Liverpool dominates the city centre and the Mersey estuary marking ’ (Sharples)
A hundred years ago this ...
Thorndike Theatre, Leatherhead
The Thorndike Theatre, Leatherhead
Words and pictures by Barnabas Calder
Hidden behind a Leatherhead street-front of commercial mediocrity is one of the best theatres of the 1960s. It was the product of an ideal pairing of architect and client: an ar...
Building of the month archive
Look for past Buildings of the Month by entering the name of an individual building or architect or browsing the drop down list.